Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Conditioning

More than anything, I think conditioning is the most critical thing in Jiu Jitsu.

"If you are tired you're not strong. If you are tired you're not fast. If you're tired you don't have good technique. If you're tired you're not even smart." - Dan Inosanto

When I'm feeling good, I can attack explosively and move from technique to technique. When I'm tired, I often stall out or just sit there and let my opponent attack.

One of my training partners has a tendency to go full blast whenever we spar. For the first minute, he is quite difficult to handle. After he expels his burst of energy, however, his performance level drops off dramatically. He is out of breath and unable to attack, defend, or even apply solid technique.

My main focus for the next few weeks is going to be conditioning.

I feel that if I can maintain a high level of cardio for an extended period of time, my overall game will go up drastically. I'm already decently in shape, but I'd like to reach the next level through intense training and focus.

No comments: