Friday, January 26, 2007

Half guard

I think I figured out something critical about half guard. When we were doing drills in class yesterday, I managed to successfully sweep and escape from half guard every time without getting passed or tapped.

Even though I've been hearing it over and over, I finally realized how important the underhook is. If I can achieve underhook, it makes it much more difficult for my opponent to put me on my back, and I can more easily get underneath my opponent and sweep from there.

Sometimes I'll open the half guard and put a hook in, move to x guard, or combo in some other open guard variants while putting my opponent off balance.

I also try and escape back door, which works very effectively so far- if they try and block me going back door by sitting, I engage the sweep since they are already moving with the momentum.

All in all, my half guard game jumped up considerably yesterday. No more clinging on for dear life and hoping my opponent doesn't pass!

No comments: