Friday, March 30, 2007

Pan Ams

Pan Ams was definitely a good experience.

It didn't turn out how I had hoped, but I had a good time and learned quite a bit.

First, I actually could have qualified for the lower weight class. I was well under the limit, but I still had to fight the class above because that's how I registered. My opponent weighed in at 14 pounds over my weight (a pretty ripped 14 lbs- short stocky wrestler type with no neck), and ultimately proved to be more than I could handle.

With my nerves on overdrive, I completely lost focus once I stepped on the mat. From the intial tie up I suddenly forgot my entire gameplan and started reacting on instinct.

I got taken down to my guard, where I was able to draw him into my game of defending a barrage of attacks, nearly catching a collar choke and then an Ezekiel before ultimately resolving in a triangle attempt. However, we had rolled off the competition area, so the referee paused the action and dragged us into the center, where my opponent eventually escaped the triangle and moved to half guard and then side mount.

By this time I was completely spent, and he moved to mount and tried a bent armlock as I defended and replaced half guard. I tried a sweep and then came out back door, and we both stood up and reset.

At one point my back was taken as I turned to my knees to escape side mount, and I successfully defended a RNC.

I could hear my teammates shouting from the sidelines, but my body wouldn't cooperate as they were telling me to upa left, bridge and roll, etc. I don't recall what else happened, but the match ended with me pinned in either side mount or mount.

Either way, I lost on points. Wasn't in danger of being tapped, but got positionally dominated pretty much the whole time.

I think my opponent went on to place in the division, as he readily handled his next few opponents.

I don't care to make excuses, but next time I will definitely try to cut weight if I am as close as I was. In hindsight, I should have cut the two or three pounds, but I was so freaked out by the DQ rule and probably overly confident in myself that I just went ahead and registered for the next class up. Next time, then.

I think most importantly, controlling the nerves is a definite must. The intensity level in a competition vs. standard training is night and day, and I don't know if anything could have prepared me for the fight other than just going out and doing it. Now that I have a better idea of what to expect I can mentally prepare next time and hopefully maintain clarity and focus throughout my matches. Today was so physically demanding and emotionally draining, I'm just relieved that I survived it all.

At any rate, the exposure to the tournament circuit puts me in a different frame of mind. No longer is my benchmark to beat the people at my gym. I've been a proverbial big fish in a small pond, happy in my success against my everyday sparring partners at my level. Being the best at your particular gym doesn't really matter much. Tournaments are a collection of the best from every gym in the area (well, most of North America for this one), so I sort of feel like I'm starting over and trying to meet those higher expectations.

So, after this weekend it's back to the kettlebells, crossfit training, and swimming.

If anything, this tournament was the catalyst that I needed to recenter and refocus my training. I am humbled once more, which is where all of my learning has always taken place.

No comments: