Friday, June 15, 2007

Back to basics

I've been ruminating.

BJ Penn calls his style of jiu jitsu "advanced basics"- perfecting the most basic moves and taking them to the next level.

Each day in practice, we go over the same positions. Guard, half guard, open guard, side control, mount, etc. Within these positions, there are certain basic movements that will be seen over and over- the hip escape, bridge, sprawl, etc. I find that as I drill positions and get these movements, I become aware of how often I encounter them during live sparring.

A good example is the sprawl motion during the guard pass. I realized that by sprawling my hips forward as I stand and break someone's guard, my guard breaking success rate jumps up many notches. Before I realized this, I would often be hunched over as I stood up in someone's guard, and it would be easier to break me back down or sweep me.

By using this same exact sprawling motion when someone is in my guard, I maximize my body weight and can more easily prevent them from standing. I lift my hips high and straighten my torso, and my entire body weight is transferred from the floor to their legs, making it much harder to deal with.

One small adjustment, and it makes a world of difference.

We've been doing the same drills every single day, but once I gained that small insight it changed everything. I guess it's a greater awareness and sensitivity to the game. It's like I see the whole situation with new eyes.

I liken it to cooking- you can cook the same dish over and over, but over time you develop a sensitivity to how each distinct ingredient and seasoning affects the greater whole. By adding some garlic here, increasing the heat there, using a little less lemon, etc, you eventually begin to master something that you've been working on for years.

Or even as a greater metaphor for life- you can encounter the same problem every day, but until you see it through new eyes and change your perception and approach, you might never be able to surpass what holds you back.

No comments: