Sunday, June 17, 2007

Let's move

I recall when my cousin told me about the importance of learning "how to move" in jiu jitsu.

When I first started training with him, I remember doing countless movement drills- knee on stomach switches, hip switch drills, side control flows, turtle drills, etc. At the time it was redundant and awkward, but now I realize how important it was to my foundation. Because of those early drills and the time spent programming my body movement, picking up new techniques was much easier.

Learning to flow in jiu jitsu is maybe more important than collecting techniques. The majority of the fight might be transitioning between positions and moving to better control points. Learning to flow correctly will increase your ability to progress to a better position or set up opportunities to end the fight.

No comments: