Monday, September 3, 2007

Preliminary analysis

I've decided to be more precise about tracking my training.

I've been brooding over areas that need to be addressed as well as areas where I feel comfortable. This should give me a starting point for working out points to focus on in the next few months, especially since I can't make it to class as much as I used to.

Things to work on-

-open guard vs. larger or stronger opponents. they are often able to control my legs and pass by dropping their weight on my legs.

-half guard vs. larger or stronger opponents. once they establish a strong crossface shoulder, i am left with few options.

-half guard submission defense. i probably get tapped here more than any other position. ezekiels, collar chokes, sometimes guillotines.

-overall assertiveness/aggressiveness during training. sometimes i am too passive and do not capitalize on opportunities when they are available.

-sweeps from all positions. i can hit them sometimes if my opponent is inexperienced, but i need to work on setups, timing, and reading/reacting to my opponent.

-submission resistance/escape. need to practice getting in danger and escaping!

-back mount defense/escape. once i'm here, there are few options.

-side mount escape. need to bridge more and create movement.

-mount escape. don't find myself here often enough to practice, so i need to work on it.

-overall strength/conditioning. decent, but could always be improved.

Things I've improved on-

-tucking and protecting arms when in side control/half guard. i used to always leave them out of posture for an easy armlock against a more experienced opponent.

-side control posture. fighting for quick underhook before opponent establishes position.

-x-guard entries. i've gotten better at timing entries and reading my opponent.

-defending the de la riva guard. used to frustrate me, but i can work out a fairly good pass setup from here for the most part.

-passing with tight, pressure passes. used to focus mostly on speedy and explosive passes, but need to tighten up my game to work more with control.

-standup game. needs a ton of work, but i at least have a basic idea so i'm not completely lost.

Things I feel comfortable with-

-closed guard. for the most part, i feel in control and have a wide variety of attacks at my disposal.

-open guard. vs. people my level/size, i don't feel in danger of being passed often.

-taking the back. i can usually find a way to take the back, especially agains slower/inexperienced opponents.


submissions to work on
-kimura
-guillotine
-omoplata

No comments: