Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Similarities between half guard sweeps and single leg takedown

Over the past few weeks I've been realizing how similar the mechanics of these two positions are.

A lot of half guard sweeps (such as the old school sweep) are essentially single leg takedowns that start from the knees. Perhaps then single leg takedowns are standing half guard sweeps? lol. Maybe not.

This past weekend I learned a sweep from being sprawled on in the turtle position (essentially a failed shot attempt, or perhaps a side mount escape to the knees). You need to sit out to one side and post an arm while wrapping the opponent's leg above the thigh with the other arm. You then hook their leg with your outside leg and drive into them with your head/shoulder while scooping their based knee out. Very similar mechanics to a half guard sweep.

Today I was watching the finals of the 2005 Mundials (I forget the exact weight class) between Xande Ribiero and Roger Gracie. Xande was attempting to pass Roger's half guard (flat on his back), and Roger somehow swept him. Specifically, Xande was going for a 101 pass by sliding his knee through, and Roger trapped the foot (quarter guard) while overhooking Xande's leg at the knee. Roger then posted his free hand and scooted out to the side (sitting up) and stood up into a single leg takedown setup. As I saw this, a lot of things clicked.

A few weeks ago I was taken down by a wrestler after I thought I passed his guard. I was coming to side control, and somehow he hooked a leg, turned to his knees, and took me down. I was baffled at the time, but I realize now what had happened.

One thing that can definitely be worked into my game- attacking single legs and half guard sweeps as the opponent tries to pass.

Techniques to master- Single leg takedown, wrestler sit out, half guard sweep setups (upright with posted arm), half guard back door (take back on underhook side).

No comments: