Friday, February 15, 2008

No gi- open guard

no gi class

I got to teach class tonight, and I chose to focus on open guard.

This is an important part of my game, as it has allowed me to be more confident in opening up my guard and trying new things.

Techniques taught-

-open guard theory- parallel theory, following your opponent, hooks on instep, control positions with hands

-countering the leg on shoulder pass- push away arm, hip away, pummel leg in. theory- develop counters for guard passes that you encounter regularly.

-butterfly guard basics (main open guard from opponent on knees)- active hooks, following the opponent, sitting up, etc.

-butterfly guard sweep- basic hook sweep

-arm drag from butterfly guard

In retrospect, I missed some details that I could have taught, but I believe that I gave some important tools and insights to the class. Gotta concentrate on main ideas of positions, application, etc. Should probably have live drilling also.

I'd like to teach more, because it helps me organize my thoughts about my game and figure out what REALLY makes certain moves and positions work.

rolling notes-

-gooseneck guillotine control is good
-brabo from top- definitely refining it, gotta keep on pushing
-having trouble with mark's de la riva guard. getting spread out with arm grabbing heel and foot on hip. must react more quickly.

No comments: