Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sparring session

I feel like I'm probably at 80% cardio of where I was a few weeks ago.

Technique-wise, I'm returning to form. I was able to pass the guard, apply pressure, and maintain side control effectively for the most part.

Some problem areas came when I was on half guard top and transitioning to pass. Particularly, when I would plant my elbow over the head and turn my back to them while trying to pry the legs open with the free leg, I got reversed three times by three different people. The smashing shoulder pass, however, is solid. Gotta work on the Marcelo half guard pass to expand my repetoire. Half guard top base needs to be worked on. Especially must defend when they bridge into me. That's the most often position where I get reversed.

Another area that needs to be worked on is attacking from side control. My main attack sequence involves attacking the farside arm for bent armlocks, but if they are aware of my intentions, it makes it much more difficult. Gotta work on breaking down the posture more (remember- leg move to tricep, wiping the hip, etc.) Gotta keep constant pressure at all times from the top. Must punish opponents and grind them down, and then pass.

I need to slow down my guard passing in order to differentiate techniques. Nowadays I'm just out-racing my opponents, but I'm sure that my technique is not perfect. Must concentrate on smashing, slow, tight passes. Gotta force myself to do it, or my game will not develop like I want to.

Guardwise, I'm beginning to attack omoplatas aggressively, which opens up sweeps and other submissions. Also, I'm trying to mess with rubber guard control. I realize that overhooks from this position definitely changes the control in my favor- there are so many options from there- omoplata, triangle, sweep, etc.

Overall, my head is getting much more in the game. I'm starting to get back to that "white belt mentality" that helped turbocharge my progression a few months back.

No comments: