Sunday, December 3, 2006

Closed guard thoughts

I've been working on closed guard for the past month or so, and I feel like I've developed a pretty good base to work around. My main goal is to break the opponent's posture and always have at least one point of control- an overhooked arm, control of the head, a sleeve, a head and arm, etc. From here, it makes it difficult for them to posture up and break the guard. When the opponent is struggling to free the controlled limb/head, it opens up opportunities for submissions or sweeps. In theory it's a good plan, but it rarely ever works out like that.

Lately I've been struggling against larger opponents in my guard. Specifically, when they extend their arms and attack the collar while stacking me and driving all their weight down from standing. I've been told to switch to butterfly guard or open my guard to kick them back, but I've found it difficult to neutralize someone who has 50 or more pounds on me, especially when they are going full speed.

Two main plans come to mind-
1. Get better at spinning armlocks from the guard. At least be able to threaten with the armlock so the opponent won't be able to collar choke me from MY guard. Even if I don't get the armlock, I'll cause them to abandon their plan and get frustrated. I think I don't like to try the spinning armlocks because it potentially results in my guard being passed if the armlock is unsuccessful. I guess this also leads me to the whole idea of working on my open guard game, which is a completely different discussion.

2. Switch to butterfly hooks and launch them over my head. I think this is largely a momentum thing, and it would be a lot easier if I anticipated them trying to drive into me.

One piece of advice that keeps coming up is to never let a larger opponent settle their weight on you. I guess I have to find ways to apply this to my closed guard game.

No comments: