Thursday, December 7, 2006

One Step Ahead

I realized something that should improve my game by quite a bit. A few of my training partners have mentioned it in the past, but lately I've discovered its importance.

Normally, when I have someone in my guard I just defend until they open and pass- either through a guard break or after scrambling through one of my failed submission attempts. This is the moment that has been defining most of my matches lately.

After opening my guard, they generally slide to my half guard, which is eventually passed and I end up side controlled. From here I am quite defenseless, and usually end up falling victim to some sort of armlock or choke.

The key is that THEY are the ones opening my guard and controlling the game on their terms. I am simply clinging on and resisting until the very last moment, when I decide "OH CRAP, better try something else!" but by then it's usually too late.

If I were to modify my approach and CHOOSE to open my guard while flowing into a half guard sweep or at least favorable position, this should give me that extra split second that's needed to actually execute a successful sweep or escape. Otherwise I'm just a sitting duck.

In Jiu Jitsu, those split seconds are often the difference.

So, I'm beginning to ANTICIPATE the next move.

No comments: