Friday, December 1, 2006

No Gi

Trained No Gi today.

I find I have a significant advantage, as I am able to fully utilize my speed and avoid being grabbed and controlled to some degree. Perhaps the people I'm training with are also less experienced in No Gi training, as the gym only does it one day a week, so they are unfamiliar with the mechanics of it. Control points are different, and those who rely on collar grabbing/sleeve holding are left defenseless once their guard gets passed.

Then again, playing a loose game with No Gi also leads to even less control, as I find myself relying far more on athleticism than technique. Gotta focus on slowing it down.

I'm leaning towards concentrating more on techniques that work for both Gi and No Gi grappling. Arm locks, guillotine choke, RNC, triangle, etc. Should keep it solid for both styles.

I told myself that I was going to focus on open guard today, but that pretty much went out the window when my opponents were pulling guard all day. I abandoned that plan and decided to work on attacks from knee on stomach as well as general top control. Perhaps next week.

All in all, feeling a lot better than yesterday. Much quicker, a lot more energized, just a lot more in the zone. I plan to roll every day next week in order to get my body back in shape. Gotta up the food intake and make sure I'm fueling myself properly, though. In previous cycles, I'd up the intensity and frequency of my training without correspondingly upping my nutrition, and I found myself weak and fatigued all the time. Thus, I'd be killing any gains made due to lack of proper diet and rest, which was completely counterproductive to my intentions.

Can't overdo it. I have a tendency to go too hardcore when I begin new training regiments, only to find myself burnt out and drained. Gotta pace it, yo!

No comments: