Sunday, December 3, 2006

Sensitivity, Timing

I've been reading a few articles by Roy Harris, and came across one on physical attributes in BJJ. I found this article quite eye opening, as it broke down the various components of one's grappling game:
Attributes like speed, power, strength, explosiveness, body mechanics, timing, sensitivity, awareness, accuracy, footwork, distancing, agility, line familiarization, flexibility, balance, coordination and endurance are what bring life and vibrancy to your techniques.
Many of these attributes can be developed through training. The obvious ones are strength and endurance through aerobic and anaerobic exercises, which can easily be done off the mat and incorporated into one's daily routine. I've been doing this for the past few months and noticed a significant jump in my jiu jitsu game.

Before I started training, I hadn't really done any serious physical activity other than working out at the gym and jogging occasionally, so I had to develop my strength so I would be able to hang with the people in my gym. I began doing kettlebells and other anaerobic exercises while supplementing my diet with loads of whey protein, and within a few weeks I felt like a completely different person.

While strength and conditioning are important for grappling, one must also look to develop the other skills through mat time and practice. As I've been grappling with different sets of opponents with different body types, styles, and skill levels, I've noticed that I have to alter my game plan depending on who I'm matched up against.

What really caught my attention in the article was the discussion of sensitivity and timing.
Sensitivity could best be described as having the ability to feel and read pressure. During a grappling match, there is a constant barrage of pushing and pulling motions every millisecond. If one were to repeatedly engage force against force, they would soon tire. The competitor with the most strength, power and endurance would more than likely win the match. (That is, taking into account that the two competitors are equally skilled.) However, if one person had the attribute of sensitivity working for them, they would immediately recognize a pushing motions on the part of their opponent and use this motion (pressure) against him by pulling him off balance.
This applies broadly to many areas of BJJ, but I'm starting to think about it in regards to reading an opponent. If I can feel an opponent pushing one way, driving him another way could open up sweeps, escapes, etc. I've been neglecting this area, or at least not realizing how important it was to my progression. If anything, learning to read opponents and situations will do just as much(if not more) for my grappling game as outside conditioning. I think that's really what separates the alright grapplers from the more elite grapplers- the ability to read an opponent and predict what they are attempting to do and shut down that aspect of their strategy. What I would like to be able to accomplish is to take away an opponent's main offense and defense, forcing them to work from an area that is both unfamiliar and uncomfortable- they will be off balance both figuratively and literally. I assume that if you combine sensitivity with technique, you are going to be expelling a lot less energy while controlling and dominating an opponent.

Similarly, timing is also something that I hadn't really focused on until this article-

Timing can best be described as the ability to know when to perform a specific technique at the appropriate time. It goes way beyond just knowing a technique. Timing means you know when to employ a technique. It means you have the ability to see a very small, fast approaching window of opportunity to employ a specific technique and you confidently take that opportunity to boldly employ the technique like you were destined to take it. That is great timing.
I was trying to figure this one out last week, as there were several windows of opportunity that I wasn't able to take advantage of due to lack of awareness/reaction time. It was only afterwards when I was replaying the situation in my head that I realized that I could have done X,Y, and Z to neutralize my opponent, take a more dominant position, or execute a submission. That's another new thing I'm working with- visualization. The idea is that if I visualize myself executing a certain move a few times in my head before I actually try it, I should be able to pull it off fairly easily. Thus, the mental game is picking up as much as the physical game, and I'm beginning to work out scenarios in my mind and grasp the bigger picture.

So, with this new awareness I'm going to try and develop my game in new ways. Of course, it all comes with mat time and experieince, but now I can focus on training myself philosophically during class rather than just focusing on technique, etc.







No comments: