Monday, August 4, 2008

The Subtle Things

After Mike ran me over a few times, I asked him where the breakdown was happening. He showed me how some of the stuff I was doing wasn't as effective as it could be, such as an underhook, forearm in throat, etc.

I then did some situational rolling with him where he paused me where ever he felt I could be applying more effective pressure. I should be focusing all my weight on one spot instead of spreading it around. I should also be using my hips, knees, shoulders, chest, etc. to drive and gain control. Example- z-guard counter- you must feel where the frame is and sprawl your hip back, down, etc. in whatever direction you feel the weakness is while also using your hands, other body parts to gain other control.

From a distance, it doesn't look like anything special is happening, but when you are getting smashed, you feel 100x more pressure.

Gotta work on sensitivity in my control. Also must switch up speeds- remember what Roy said last week with the situational use of speed and attributes.

Also must work on the following-

-armlock escapes
-back escapes
-triangle escapes
-guillotine escapes
-side control escapes
-smashed half guard escapes
-mount escapes
-north/south escapes

-single leg defense
-general takedown stuff

-passing

-dominating on top

No comments: