Monday, August 4, 2008

OTM Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championship/US Open of Submission Grappling

the day before-

After eating clean and cutting the day of, I was still almost two pounds over. I hopped off the scale and put on my running shoes and jogged along the beach for awhile. I then put on my thermals, sweatshirt, beanie, and gi and sat in my car with the windows rolled up and heat on for about 20 mins. I also put my seat down and began doing crunches to help me sweat out more. I then made weight easily.

------------

OTM BJJ Championships-

I fought much later in the day, so I mostly relaxed and cheered on teammates.

Ended up fighting someone who beat me in the finals of GQ a few months back, and I felt that gave him a mental edge.

We start out, he grips my collar and sleeve and starts yanking, and we stand for a few seconds before he goes for a single. I try and guillotine but don't do much, and hop around before he spins underneath and goes to deep half guard. I don't think I get swept here, but I somehow end up on my back (maybe got taken down?). He works to pass with outside passes, staying outside of my range (can't get to x-guard cleanly) and maintaining good posture. I have a hard time breaking him down, but manage to continually replace guard. I attempt a few sweep attempts, almost take his back with a de la riva sweep, but we both end up standing again. He goes to the single, steps outside, and sweeps my posted foot. I think I'm down 4 at that point. I work to sweep again, and end up getting to closed guard. He maintains good posture and I can't break him down, and he starts working to pass again. I turtle away from him like a dumbass (same thing happened last time, wtf) and he gets one hook and half a collar. He works to get the second hook in, but I defend. I spin underneath the bow and arrow choke as he goes for it, and he tries to set up other stuff. He eventually gets another hook sunk in and gets the RNC finish. Had some lapses, but I have some stuff I need to work on. Those CK boys always go to the back. Gotta avoid getting 1)taken down and 2) my back taken.

bronze match-
I face off with another CK grappler, and right away I pull guard. I get x-guard, sweep cleanly, and have him stacked up before he tries to x-guard sweep me. I push his head down and hop my leg over, and end up in side control. I hold for points and check with the ref, and pop up to knee on stomach and then mount. I grab his collar and hit the bow and arrow choke finish. Bronze medal. I feel like I could have run over everyone in the division except for the gold medalist.

---------------

US Open of Submission Grappling

It's the same story with the waiting game- I don't fight until maybe 5 o'clock.

My name gets called and I barely warm up. I end up getting a first round bye due to an odd number of competitors in my bracket. I watch the first match and see that the guy I will face is a strong wrestler, and start developing a strategy.

Second round, I face the wrestler. Right away I engage and jump guard and clinch. I work a front body triangle, and he gets out. I work for a guillotine and some other openings, and eventually he puts me down on my back. I work to sweep with x-guard, and he frees himself and stands back up. I jump guard again, and break him down to guard. I control his posture with rubber guard, and try for omoplata, gogoplata, etc. I see his other arm open and sort of neglected, so I attack a kimura. I rip it out, and also lock a triangle over his other arm in the process. I rip up and over, and get the kimura finish.

Finals.

I lock up with the CK grappler I faced yesterday, and he sits to butterfly. Three months of wrestling practice, and that's all I used this weekend lol. I work to pass his open guard as he tries to sweep, maintaining forward hips while destroying his legs. I nearly pass, and he tries to sweep, but I spin out. He goes for a footlock, and I kick out and spin around, somehow ending up in half guard (almost mount) in the perfect position for the darce. I sink it in deep, and he taps. GOLD.

-------------

We brought 3 competitors, and we took home 6 medals- 2 gold, a silver, and 3 bronze.

I made some technical mistakes, but now I have a better idea of where to direct my training and work on areas of my game that can be improved.

A great moral victory, and a nice transition to my new life in San Diego.

1 comment:

nae said...

awesome performance! i hope you have it on video!