Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sensitiivity and timing when escaping from the bottom

So, today I was doing a mount drill and was on the bottom of mount. I managed to replace half guard and sweep over two opponents with the same sort of move. Not a traditional half guard sweep, but more from me being sensitive to the "hole in their structure." I was sort of feeling them out initially as they were smashing me, but the second I felt a lack of pressure coming from X direction, I was able to make my move and sweep them over. This felt like a tremendous breakthrough, and after I did it on the first person, it worked again on the second person! Something that I have to internalize and continue to work with.

Secondly, I worked a lot on escaping from the bottom. I'm starting to combine movements a lot more fluidly, and it's beginning to work out better for me. Combinations of bridging, spinning the other direction, coming to my knees, etc. They all create space and ultimately allow me to get out from the bottom.

A nice move I learned- for back control, you reach across with the arm under the armpit and trap the opposite side arm at the elbow. Combined with hooks, this makes it really hard to escape the back. Gotta work on this. You have a free arm left to do whatever you want.

No comments: