Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Omoplatas, spider guard stuff

My knee got hurt again last Friday, so I had to take a few days off. Today was the first day I actually trained since then.

In the meantime, I've been watching plenty of instructionals. I just watched Marcelo Garcia's 4 discs of omoplatas, and I'd like to implement many of those ideas into my game. I feel like the omoplata is a great move because it's essentially another way to sweep your opponent from your guard, and puts them in a very jacked up position if you secure it quickly and properly. Marcelo's setups were all with no gi, but I suppose the gi would make it all the better- allowing for better control and grips, also opening up a world of possibilities when comboing the omoplata with spider guard.

Today's techniques included a mount escape that involved bridging into them RIGHT when they put the knee to move to mount and landing on the opposite side of them in side control (semi-cartwheel motion).

Next was the entangled spider guard sweep with shin across beltline. This comboed nicely with the omoplata setup from entangled spider guard- you could duck under them after a failed sweep attempt and hit the omoplata setup.

Rolling, I had to take it easy. I mostly passed and tried to mess around with breaking posture from side control and setting up attacks. I actually got bored and twistered this kid twice, but it was all in good fun. I was rolling super slow and trying not to hurt myself nor my opponents, and I think it allowed me to focus on aspects of my game that are absent when I'm going full speed. Perhaps the minor injury will allow me to develop my game in different ways after all. I passed a lot to the right side to not put my right leg in jeopardy, and I was able to get a lot of practice. I expect to continue to develop my passing and side control on the right side, as I feel my game is very unbalanced in this aspect. I'm especially going to do this vs. opponents that I feel better than instead of just smashing through them. Gotta take the opportunities to make my game grow.

No comments: