Friday, March 7, 2008

Side control- attacking the farside arm

I tested the knee again today at no gi class, and I was able to roll a bit harder. I still don't feel 100%- maybe I'm at 70% or so. Certain angles still feel odd, I can't shoot off it, and I can't take much twisting.

Nonetheless, my game has still been evolving despite the slow down. Actually, this may end up benefiting me in the long run. I have been practicing slow and methodical passes as opposed to the normal fast passes. Also, I've adapted and started to work my passes to the right side (the awkward side). If I keep at it, my game will start to balance out much more- a more controlled and methodical game and an ability to pass (and attack) on both sides).

Tonight's techniques-

-kimura from side control (opponent underhooking)
-double attack- triangle head and arm with legs while attacking straight arm lock on farside arm (can also attack kimuras, americanas, etc)
-americana setup with head to help (also shoulders)

-americana counter- grab with free arm OVER their hand
-americana counter #2- rotate thumb and straighten arm (watch for straight arm lock)
-americana counter #3- hand in hip and bridge over shoulder (they have to be committed to the americana and center of balance must be oriented towards arm)

rolling-

-need to learn passing stance setups from left foot forward. start with knee slide.

-need to learn to force half guard (marcelo move from flattened butterfly)

-need to practice being in danger vs. opponents who don't normally threaten me (give up side control, etc).

-RNC attacks feel good

-guillotines were not working. need to be quicker with them most likely.

-need to learn darce/brabo from opponent's right side turtle

-need to get better at head and arm guillotine. right now i feel at about 2/10 of where i want to be.

-side control attacks are feeling decent. gotta try them vs. some more formidable opponents though.

No comments: