Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Critical, critical insights

Special Sparring Class!

I've been training less and sort of concentrating more on the mental side of the game.

The book The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin has really gotten me thinking about quite a few concepts, as seen in my last few posts. Jiu Jitsu is starting to take on a much deeper meaning in my life, and I'm breaking the game down into much smaller segments.

While I do still need to expand my overall knowledge of the game and continue to collect moves, I need to actually focus in on a few specific techniques and areas. If I master these key areas and am able to perform them with excellent timing and leverage, my overall efficiency level will go up. I'd much rather be able to pendulum sweep a black belt than do a flying triangle on a second week white belt. Substance over flash. Build the foundation SOLID, and then I'll be able to start expressing and utilizing my unique attributes to full potential.

I've also been back to watching videos to supplement my learning. Demian Maia has some excellent tapes out that really focus on the technical side of the game. He has a few particular fundamental concepts that have really helped me to organize my thoughts and shed some light on some key concepts. It's really filled in the gaps and allowed me to make quite a bit of connections.

In today's sparring class, I got matched up against a brown belt than normally ruins my life. I recall a few months ago when I was able to pass his guard but couldn't maintain side control AT ALL. I felt completely off balance and was easily reversed no matter what I did. Today, the same techniques were used to try to escape my side control, but surprisingly, I was able to predict his intentions and counter them by shifting my base, controlling his arms, and getting him out of posture. Yes, I was largely using my speed to my advantage, but I was greatly surprised by how much pressure and tight control I was able to generate.

In a few key moments, I realized when I was standing to pass his guard that I wasn't leaning into him as much as I should be. I adjusted and felt a slight shift in the momentum towards my favor. Very subtle adjustment that may not even be noticeable to most people, but it's starting to open my game up and really bring me up to where I want to be. I am only 135lbs (maybe a few more since the holidays!), but I need to make my opponent feel every single ounce of it!

Overall, I was able to pass his guard over and over while completely avoiding any sort of sweep attempts and side controlling him strong. My base was great, and I felt very strong from the top. Towards the end, I even managed to sink in a Jacare n/s lapel choke, but time expired as I attempted to sink it deeper and finish. Maybe one of the best rolls I've had in awhile.

In other rolls, I realized the importance of going against aggro and out of control partners. It is unorthodox, but if I just accept it and dominate them regardless, I should be improving my game. It is a learning opportunity to work on some things that I don't normally encounter, like half guard pullers and heel hookers. Not my sort of thing, but I'm learning to deal with it. Overall, I am going to open it up and take on any and all opponents, trying to pick up as much as I can from them. Their unique styles should contrast with mine and show me the areas I could concentrate on.

I think my overall attitude has improved quite a bit, and I'm ready to take the next step up and expand my game.

1 comment:

nae said...

dude you've been quoting a lot from the art of learning...i'm really tempted to go out and buy the book. i tripped out when i read that the author was the kid they based that movie off of, searching for bobby fischer.

anyways...let's make sure we get some drilling in on saturday. i'll catch you friday though for sure.