Saturday, May 31, 2008

Chess Analogy

"So, learn this, know this, live this: Chess is not about overwhelming forces! Chess is about controlling the application of force, both that of your opponents’ as well as your own."

I've become interested in chess again, and I came across this quote the other day. It's not a perfect analogy, but it provided me with some food for thought.

I realized that this same sort of concept was helping my jiu jitsu game immensely. I was working to pass the guard, and instead of just concentrating on one particular pass I remained fluid- threating several passes at once with a mix of speed and power while also threating submissions. Just like in chess where you aren't going to win by a single piece, I tried to play my moves in combinations that allowed me to breach my opponent's defenses. I visualize it as a small break in the dam that eventually causes the whole thing to crumble, allowing a torrent of water to break through. That's me passing the guard. Slowly inching and creating more pressure (physical and mental) until the opponent is worn out and gets the guard passed.

----------

Today's matches went well, as I was able to apply the use of speed, leverage, and strength together. I managed to stay mobile yet tight- applying fluid pressure that allowed me to create openings to pass and control.

It's coming together nicely.

No comments: