Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pass flows

I was thinking about Marcelo Garcia's sequence of passes that he uses in his first dvd series. Each move leads into the next- if one thing doesn't work out or an opponent reacts a certain way, he goes to the next technique.

I was thinking about how I sometimes chain together attacks from the guard that logically follow each other- collar choke, spinning arm bar, omoplata, triangle, etc. They feed off of each other if the previous one didn't work out.

There should be a sequence of passes that I have at my disposal that allow me to flow in the same sort of way.

I was thinking about breaking it down into something like-

Toriani pass
possible reactions, opponent tendencies-
-they hip escape out once i step
-they sit up and attack butterfly before i gain control of the legs
-they roll out to turtle
-they adjust and go into de la riva
-they catch your foot and go half guard

etc etc.

Then I could come up with a logical move off of each major reaction I get.

This could actually be a systematic breakdown for every guard pass, submission, sweep, etc. I want to get to the point where everything is so tight and technical that I'm able to be a few steps ahead of my opponent and be ready with counters before they even react to the first move.

This is just the beginning, but I feel like this may be going somewhere and will definitely take my game up a few notches.

No comments: