Friday, October 12, 2007

RNC to Arm Triangle, Arm Triangle to RNC

A few months ago, I saw someone in the UFC flow into an arm triangle once the opponent escaped the back and turned to mount. I experiment with this in class, and caught a few people when they turned right into the choke, as they would spin towards the non-choking arm on the back mount harness, which would become the choking arm on the arm triangle. This combo is excellent, as it gives you a submission option once your opponent thinks they just escaped danger.

I was arm triangling this person in class all the time, and they started to resist it by turning away from me when I secured the lock, which actually gave them enough space to resist and stall out. Rather than spend a lot of energy trying to muscle in the choke, there is the option of re-taking the back and securing the RNC.

It didn't occur to me that the opposite combo was also true until I saw Jacare do it in an MMA fight.



New combo to add to the arsenal!

No comments: